Re: Ubuntu 12.04 / 3.2 Kernel Bad for PostgreSQL Performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Ubuntu 12.04 / 3.2 Kernel Bad for PostgreSQL Performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 4:04 PM, Shaun Thomas <sthomas@optionshouse.com> wrote:
> On 12/05/2012 04:41 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
>> Ah, that is interesting about 2.6.  I had wondered how Debian stable
>> would have performed, 2.6.32-5.  This relates to a recent discussion
>> about the appropriateness of Ubuntu for database servers:
>

> Hmm. I may have to recant. I just removed our fusionIO driver from the loop
> and suddenly everything is honey and roses. It would appear that some recent
> 3.2 kernel patch borks the driver in some horrible way. Wihtout it, I see
> 50-ish percent CPU, 70k tps even with 800 clients... Just like 3.4.
>
> So I jumped the gun a bit. Stupid drivers.
>
> I'm still curious why only recent 3.2's cause it, but 3.4 don't. That's
> mighty odd.

Have you got a support contract with fusion IO guys? Where I work we
have fusion IO cards and a support contract and are about to start
doing some testing on ubuntu 12.04 as well so I'll let you know what
we find out.