Re: Turn off Hyperthreading! WAS: 60 core performance with 9.3 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Turn off Hyperthreading! WAS: 60 core performance with 9.3
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 3:02 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> On 08/20/2014 07:40 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
>> I am also
>> unclear exactly what you tested, as I didn't see it mentioned in the
>> email --- CPU type, CPU count, and operating system would be the minimal
>> information required.
>
> Ooops!  I thought I'd posted that earlier, but I didn't.
>
> The processors in question is the Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E7- 4850, with 4
> of them for a total of 40 cores or 80 HT cores.
>
> OS is RHEL with 2.6.32-431.3.1.el6.x86_64.

I'm running almost the exact same setup in production as a spare. It
has 4 of those CPUs, 256G RAM, and is currently set to use HT. Since
it's a spare node I might be able to do some testing on it as well.
It's running a 3.2 kernel right now. I could probably get a later
model kernel on it even.