Re: Multi Master Replication - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Multi Master Replication
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 1:16 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 12/18/2013 1:31 AM, itishree sukla wrote:
>>
>> I need suggestion about setting up multi master replication between two
>> postgresql server place two different geographical area. As i know using
>> some third party tool like Bucardo,RubyRep it can be achievable, not sue
>> which is the good one to use. If any one  can provide me some online
>> documentation links, it will help me as well.
>

> that sort of replication is very problematic.   its virtually impossible to
> maintain ACID (Atomicity, Consistency, Isolation, Durability) and maintain
> any semblance of performance.
>
> question for you, what do you expect to happen if the communications link
> between the servers is interrupted, and updates continue to be sent to both
> servers?

When people start talking multi-master replication my first response
is to ask what problem you're trying to solve. Sometimes MM Rep IS the
answer. But quite often it's not the best one for your problem. So to
OP I'd ask what problem they're trying to solve.