Re: Summaries on SSD usage? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Summaries on SSD usage?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Stefan Keller <sfkeller@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for summaries (or best practices) on SSD usage with PostgreSQL.
> My use case is mainly a "read-only" database.
> Are there any around?

How big is your DB?
What kind of reads are most common, random access or sequential?
How big of a dataset do you pull out at once with a query.

SSDs are usually not a big winner for read only databases.
If the dataset is small (dozen or so gigs)  get more RAM to fit it in
If it's big and sequentially accessed, then build a giant RAID-10 or RAID-6
If it's big and randomly accessed then buy a bunch of SSDs and RAID them