Re: New server: SSD/RAID recommendations? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: New server: SSD/RAID recommendations?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 11:43 AM, Graeme B. Bell <graeme.bell@nibio.no> wrote:

> The comment on HDDs is true and gave me another thought.
>
> These new 'shingled' HDDs (the 8TB ones) rely on rewriting all the data on tracks that overlap your data, any time
youchange the data. Result: disks 8-20x slower during writes, after they fill up.

> Do they have power loss protection for the data being rewritten during reshingling? You could have data commited at
positionX and you accidentally nuke data at position Y.

> [I know that using a shingled disk sounds crazy (it sounds crazy to me) but you can bet there are people that just
wantto max out the disk bays in their server... ]

Let's just say no online backup companies are using those disks. :)
Biggest current production spinners being used I know of are 4TB,
non-shingled.