Re: Slow Performance on a XEON E5504 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Slow Performance on a XEON E5504
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 6:59 AM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 6:53 AM, Felix Schubert <input@fescon.de> wrote:
>> Hi Scott,
>>
>> the controller is a HP i410 running 3x300GB SAS 15K / Raid 5
>
> Well it sounds like it does NOT have a battery back caching module on
> it, am I right?

Also what software did you use to benchmark your drive subsystem?
Bonnie++ is a good place to start.  There are better suites out there
but it's been a while for me since I've used them.

Also note the HP i410 is not the fastest RAID controller ever, but it
should be faster than this if it has a battery backed cache on it
which will allow write-back operation.  Without it the controller will
default to write-through, which is much slower.