Re: what Linux to run - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: what Linux to run
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 3:56 AM, Chris Travers <chris.travers@gmail.com> wrote:
> Two quick notes:
>
> First, you really want a long-term support release.  Your main options here
> are Debian and spinoffs (Ubuntu LTS, for example) and RedHat Enterprise and
> spinoffs (CentOS, Scientific Linux, etc).  If you know one of these groups
> go with it.

Note that you can also start on short term releases then slide into a
long term release when a new one comes out, IF you're developing now
for a release some years in the future.  I.e. start on Fedora Core,
and migrate to Centos or RHEL, or start on non-LTS builds of ubuntu
and so on.  For OSes that have shorter spaces between LTS releases
like Ubuntu this is often the best way to put a fast system in the
field from development.  But keep in mind you may have work fixing any
issues that pop up from an upgrade before or shortly after you go
live.