Re: Installing Postgress 8.0.5 in Ubuntu 10.12 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Installing Postgress 8.0.5 in Ubuntu 10.12
Date
Re: Installing Postgress 8.0.5 in Ubuntu 10.12  (John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>)
List pgsql-general
Not from a package.  I don't think any recent distros have a repo with
8.0 in it, so you'll have to build from source.  HOWEVER, building
from source is REAL easy with postgresql.

sudo apt-get install build-essential  # ubuntu build tools
apt-get install libreadline-dev  # used by pgsql to have an editable
command line
tar xvzf postgresql-8.0.26.tar.gz
cd postgresql-8.0.26
./configure --prefix=/opt/postgres    # or wherever you want pg to install
make
sudo make install

tada!  source install.  Note that you might need whatever tools you
use to build software on your distro.  On Ubuntu it's called
build-essential not sure what it's called on other distros.