Re: Vacuum problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Vacuum problem
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 8:05 AM, S H <msq001@live.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have my database in which i am executing vacuuming running manually in one
> hour.

vacuum or vacuum full?

> In  my production database sometime when vacuuming is running it is taking
> long time in opening connection.

What is the db server doing when this happens? What does top, vmstat,
iostat etc have to say about it?

> My current version is version 8.1. Is there any known issue about open
> connection problem with vacuuming.

8.1 is out of support and has been for some time.

Tom wrote:
>     broken if we start the scan at a random place within the catalog, so
> that
>     allowing syncscan is actually a big deoptimization if pg_attribute is
> large
SNIP
>     Back-patch to 8.3, where syncscan was introduced.

It was added in 8.3 so no, it is likely not your issue.

Running 8.1 means you're asking about a system no one else on this
list is likely to still be using much. The hackers aren't gonna be
interested in fixing it either, since it's out of support.