Re: SSD Drives - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: SSD Drives
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 1:44 PM, Brent Wood <Brent.Wood@niwa.co.nz> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Does the RAID 1 array give any performance benefits over a single drive? I'd guess that writes may be slower, reads
maybe faster (if balanced) but data security is improved.

I did some testing on machines with 3xMLC FusionIO Drive2s with 1.2TB.
Comparing 1 drive and 2 drives in RAID-1 the difference in performance
was minimal. However, a 3 drive mirror was noticeably slower. This was
all with ubuntu 12.04 using 3.8.latest kernel and software RAID.
RAID-0 was by far the fastest, about 30% faster than either a single
or a pair of drives in RAID-1