Re: [PERFORM] - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: [PERFORM]
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 1:11 PM, Yevhenii Kurtov
<yevhenii.kurtov@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> That is just a sample data, we are going live in Jun and I don't have
> anything real so far. Right now it's 9.6 and it will be a latest stable
> available release on the date that we go live.

Trust me on this one, you want to get some realistic fake data in
there, and in realistic quantities before you go live to test.
Postgresql's planner makes decisions based on size of the data it has
to trundle through and statistical analysis of the data in the tables
etc. You don't wanna go from 500 rows in a test table with the same
values to 10,000,000 rows with wildly varying data in production
without having some clue where that db is gonna be headed performance
wise.