Re: New server setup - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: New server setup
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 12:06 PM, Rick Otten <rotten@manta.com> wrote:
>>> I not convinced about the need for BBU with SSD - you *can* use them
>>> without one, just need to make sure about suitable longevity and also
>>> the presence of (proven) power off protection (as discussed
>>> previously). It is worth noting that using unproven or SSD known to be
>>> lacking power off protection with a BBU will *not* save you from
>>> massive corruption (or device failure) upon unexpected power loss.
>
>>I don't think any drive that corrupts on power-off is suitable for a database, but for non-db uses, sure, I guess
theyare OK, though you have to be pretty money->constrainted to like that tradeoff.

> Wouldn't mission critical databases normally be configured in a high availability cluster - presumably with replicas
runningon different power sources?

I've worked in high end data centers where certain failures resulted
in ALL power being lost.  more than once. Relying on never losing
power to keep your data from getting corrupted is not a good idea. Now
if they're geographically separate you're maybe ok.