Re: sniff test on some PG 8.4 numbers - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: sniff test on some PG 8.4 numbers
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 7:18 PM, Jon Nelson <jnelson+pgsql@jamponi.net> wrote:
> It seems as though you say the write numbers are not believable,
> suggesting a value of 7,500 (roughly 1/4 what I'm getting). If I run
> the read test for 30 seconds I get - highly variable - between 300K
> and 400K tps. Why are these tps so high compared to your expectations?
> Note: I did get better results with HT on vs. with HT off, so I've
> left HT on for now.

sustain less.  Basically it's caching effects because no pg_xlog / wal
log writing happening.  Once you get a feel for how fast it is, run
the test for 30 minutes to several hours to see how it goes. Then when
you have a weekend just leave it running a couple days. Still pretty
good numbers so far.