Re: Incremental backup with RSYNC or something? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Incremental backup with RSYNC or something?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 7:01 AM, Craig Ringer <ringerc@ringerc.id.au> wrote:

> On Nov 13, 2011 7:39 PM, "Phoenix Kiula"
>
>> Searching google leads to complex things like "incremental WAL" and
>> whatnot, or talks of stuff like pgcluster. I'm hoping there's a more
>> straightforward core solution without additional software or PHD
>> degrees.
>
> Nothing really basic. You'll need to use PITR (WAL shipping), streaming
> replication or a row level replication solution.

One method they could use would be to partition the data into old and
new, and backup the new, then merge the partitions and start a new one
or something like that.  But that's a huge pain.  I would suggest PITR
backups here as the likely best match.