Re: what Linux to run - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: what Linux to run
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 8:49 PM, Chris Travers <chris.travers@gmail.com> wrote:
> I thought I was clear that my experiences thus far had not been
> RHEL/CentOS/SL because I tended to compile my own on such platforms.  I have
> however seen Fedora do that, and it is a caution worth noting going forward.
>
> The question is what happens when new versions of RHEL come out, whether the
> postgresql-server package gets a new major version number.  Hopefully by
> mentioning this now, we will make sure it doesn't ;-)

I started using source code on RHEL back when it was using floating
point dates instead of integer dates.  We were using slony for
replication, and we added two Ubuntu 10.04 48 core servers, and since
slony versions must be an exact match, it meant we needed to compile
slony from source, so it was easy to add postgresql compilation from
source to our script at that point.

So if you're running a mixed server environment, especially with only
a handful of machines, it's often easier to just build from source.