Re: Rules, Windows and ORDER BY - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jason Dusek
Subject Re: Rules, Windows and ORDER BY
Date
List pgsql-general
2012/8/23 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>:
> Jason Dusek <jason.dusek@gmail.com> writes:
>> I have a simple table of keys and values which periodically
>> receives updated values. It's desirable to keep older values
>> but, most of the time, we query only for the latest value of a
>> particular key.
>
>>   CREATE TABLE kv
>>   ( k bytea NOT NULL,
>>     at timestamptz NOT NULL,
>>     realm bytea NOT NULL,
>>     v bytea NOT NULL );
>>   CREATE INDEX ON kv USING hash(k);
>>   CREATE INDEX ON kv (t);
>>   CREATE INDEX ON kv USING hash(realm);
>
>>   SELECT * FROM kv WHERE k = $1 AND realm = $2 ORDER BY at DESC LIMIT 1;
>
> If you want to make that fast, an index on (k,realm,at) would
> help.  Those indexes that you did create are next to useless
> for this, and furthermore hash indexes are quite unsafe for
> production.

Thanks for pointing out the unsafety of hash indexes. I think I
got in the habit of using them for a project with large,
temporary data sets.

Why are the individual indices not useful? The tests that the
query does -- equality on key and realm and ordering on at --
are each supported by indices. Does it have to do with the cost
of loading the three indices?

--
Jason Dusek
pgp // solidsnack // C1EBC57DC55144F35460C8DF1FD4C6C1FED18A2B