Re: Let's Do the CoC Right - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Melvin Davidson
Subject Re: Let's Do the CoC Right
Date
List pgsql-general
I been pretty quiet about this whole discussion, but now I have to ask the following questions.

This is an INTERNET SUPPORT FORUM.
Just how in the hell is it possible for anyone to have their actual sex detected unless they voluntarily provide it?
Further to the point, how is it possible to harass sexually (or physically) molest anyone in this forum unless they provide information
and agree to meet in person.

Please, drop the argument about protecting against physical or verbal abuse, because it does not apply to this forum.

On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 4:59 PM, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 20:12:15 +0000
Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin@geoff.dj> wrote:

> On 23 January 2016 at 18:07, David E. Wheeler <david@justatheory.com>
> wrote:
> > On Jan 22, 2016, at 6:14 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com>
> > wrote:
> >> A Code of Conduct should protect all, equally and without bias.
> >
> > Says someone who requires no protection at all.
>
> I must object to the repeated assertions that certain people in this
> community require no protection, or have no reason to, as a way of
> discounting their arguments.
>
> In addition you might appreciate the irony if you took the time to
> consider the (reasonably recent) history of people with names like his
> before stating that Josh requires no protection. Everyone is entitled
> to the same level of protection, whatever their race, gender
> alignment, sexuality or whatever, and that includes us white
> middle-class men, however guilty you appear to feel the need to be
> about being one.

I'm reminded of a person on a computer on a no-Internet-connection LAN
saying that everyone needs equal protection from firewalls. Ummm, no.
The Internet connected firewall has many, many more attempts made
against it than the guy on the island LAN.

We all need protection --- this is true. But the transsexual has much
more bad verbiage aimed at "his (her) kind" than a run of the mill,
average person, whatever that may be.

When you go to computer conferences, how often does someone put their
hands all over you? Read this:

http://blog.valerieaurora.org/2010/11/08/its-not-just-noirin/

If you think the author of the preceding article is lying, google the
combination of "groped" and "Linux conference". Women are the minority
at these conferences, yet many more hands reach out and grab them.

We all need the necessary protection, which is not necessarily equal
protection, because some of us are subjected to much more harassment.
And I think we all need to walk a mile in other peoples shoes before
assuming others need only the meager amount of protection we need.

SteveT

Steve Litt
January 2016 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28