Re: Why is there no object create date is the catalogs? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Melvin Davidson
Subject Re: Why is there no object create date is the catalogs?
Date
Re: Why is there no object create date is the catalogs?
List pgsql-general
I thank everyone for their feedback regarding the omission of object creation date from the catalog.

I do respect the various reasons for not including it, but I feel it is my duty to draw out this issue a bit longer.

I would like to counter the argument that a restore from a dump will override the create date.
That cannot happen.
If an object already exists, it cannot be created again. The worst case scenario is that an object must be dropped due to some terrible corruption or other disaster, in which case the creation date is not a major consideration.

Further to the point, why is it that both Oracle and SQL Server _do_ have the object create date in the catalogs?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4442323/how-to-find-out-when-a-particular-table-was-created-in-oracle

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190324.aspx

All I have heard so far is that the ONLY reason there is no object create date in pg_class is because there is no general agreement as to what create date means. Well I am giving it right now. When you execute the SQL statement of the form

CREATE TABLE ...
CREATE INDEX ...
CREATE SEQUENCE ...
CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW ...
CREATE TYPE ...
CREATE FOREIGN TABLE ...

then that is when clock_timestamp() should be recorded as relcreatedate or relcreatetime.
Providing, of course, that the column is added to pg_class. :)

Is there some other overwhelming _technical_ reason that I am overlooking that prevents this from being done?