Re: Reducing power consumption on idle servers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Reducing power consumption on idle servers
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 16 Nov 2022 at 12:47, Bharath Rupireddy

> On Wed, Nov 16, 2022 at 2:34 PM Simon Riggs
> <simon.riggs@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> >
> > Reposting v6 now so that patch tester doesn't think this has failed
> > when the patch on other thread gets applied.
>
> Intention of the patch, that is, to get rid of promote_trigger_file
> GUC sometime in future, looks good to me. However, the timeout change
> to 60 sec from 5 sec seems far-reaching. While it discourages the use
> of the GUC, it can impact many existing production servers that still
> rely on promote_trigger_file as it can increase the failover times
> impacting SLAs around failover.

The purpose of 60s is to allow for power reduction, so 5s won't do.

promote_trigger_file is not tested and there are better ways, so
deprecating it in this release is fine.

Anyone that relies on it can update their mechanisms to a supported
one with a one-line change. Realistically, anyone using it won't be on
the latest release anyway, at least for a long time, since if they use
manual methods then they are well behind the times.

--
Simon Riggs                http://www.EnterpriseDB.com/