Re: Middleware Messages for FE/BE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Middleware Messages for FE/BE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 19 Aug 2021 at 10:33, Hannu Krosing <hannuk@google.com> wrote:

> Need for this does come up quite often so I very much support this.
>
> In addition to keeping a registry there likely need to be some other
> "generally agreed" rules as well, like
> * it being safe to ignore any and all of the middleware messages (at
> least with no degradation from the state of not having them)
> * and maybe even a standard way to turn them on and off.
>
>   On/Off switch could be of course done using flags for each
> individual use case, but it would be good to agree conventions.

Good feedback and thoughts, thanks.

Based on your interest, I will begin to code, but won't be ready for Sept CF.

> Another thing to agree would be a set of standard messages, like "I am
> overloaded, consider moving some load away" or "Planning to switch
> over to replica x.x.x.x, please follow"

That sounds like a server->middleware message and existing mechanisms
might work for that already.

--
Simon Riggs                http://www.EnterpriseDB.com/