Re: Reducing power consumption on idle servers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Reducing power consumption on idle servers
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 17 Nov 2022 at 07:36, Bharath Rupireddy

> > promote_trigger_file is not tested and there are better ways, so
> > deprecating it in this release is fine.
>
> Hm, but..
>
> > Anyone that relies on it can update their mechanisms to a supported
> > one with a one-line change. Realistically, anyone using it won't be on
> > the latest release anyway, at least for a long time, since if they use
> > manual methods then they are well behind the times.
>
> I may be overly pessimistic here - the change from 5 sec to 60 sec for
> detecting promote_trigger_file will have a direct impact on failovers
> I believe.

No, it will have a direct effect only on people using promote_trigger_file
who do not read and act upon the deprecation notice before upgrading
by making a one line change to their failover scripts.

Since pretty much everyone doing HA uses external HA software (cloud
or otherwise) this shouldn't affect anyone.

--
Simon Riggs                http://www.EnterpriseDB.com/