Re: Releasing in September - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Releasing in September
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 20 January 2016 at 15:40, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
Many people were happy with our consistent releasing major releases in
September, e.g. 9.0 to 9.3:

        9.5   2016-01-07
        9.4   2014-12-18
        9.3   2013-09-09 <--
        9.2   2012-09-10 <--
        9.1   2011-09-12 <--
        9.0   2010-09-20 <--
        8.4   2009-07-01
        8.3   2008-02-04
        8.2   2006-12-05
        8.1   2005-11-08
        8.0   2005-01-19

We have gotten off of that cycle in the last two major releases

Yes we have and I agree that it would be useful to return to it.

For 9.6 we have a commitfest starting in March 1.  This will
never allow a September release.

If that is the case, then its too late to change.

March - last CF
April - integration
May - release Beta
Sept - release Prod

It seems perfectly OK for me to have Beta start at beginning May and for us to release in September.

If the process takes more than 5 months (Apr - Sept) then there's something wrong with that process, rather than there being a problem with the schedule.

Our current 9.5/9.6 timing looks more like the 8.X series of release
dates.  Everyone might be fine with that, but we had better be prepared
for November-February major release dates going forward.

I don't mind what month we pick, as long as we stick to the schedule.