Re: [PERFORM] Backup taking long time !!! - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: [PERFORM] Backup taking long time !!!
Date
Re: [PERFORM] Backup taking long time !!!
List pgsql-performance
On 23 January 2017 at 17:12, Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Just to make sure anyone reading the mailing list archives isn't
>> confused, running pg_start_backup does *not* make PG stop writing to
>> BASEDIR (or DATADIR, or anything, really).  PG *will* continue to write
>> data into BASEDIR after pg_start_backup has been called.
>

> Correct.  Unfortunately it is a very common myth that it does cause
> PostgreSQL to stop writing to the base dir.

Never heard that one before. Wow. Who's been saying that?

It's taken me years to hunt down all invalid backup memes and terminate them.

Never fails to surprise me how many people don't read the docs.