Re: Planned release for PostgreSQL 9.5 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Planned release for PostgreSQL 9.5
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 24 August 2015 at 19:15, Paragon Corporation <lr@pcorp.us> wrote:
Just checking to see if you guys have settled on a date for 9.5.0 release.

The PostGIS Dev team would like to release PostGIS 2.2 about or a week or
more before, but not too far ahead of 9.5.0  release.

It's a good question, thanks for asking. We are behind the planned schedule at this point.

If you follow the same alpha/beta/rc/release process of the main project you should be able to release close by.

Once Beta is announced, probably in Sept, then extensions can go Beta also. Postgres Beta freezes the APIs as much as possible, so you'll have time to support that before the main project releases.

Many extensions support  multiple releases, I know. In that case it makes sense to state clearly the level of support for each release, e.g.
PostGIS 2.2.0 offers Production Support of 9.4, Beta Support of 9.5
then include any later changes into 2.2.1, if any, or simply just announce 2.2.0 as supporting 9.5 if nothing changed.