Re: Reindex doesn't eliminate bloat - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Nikolay Samokhvalov
Subject Re: Reindex doesn't eliminate bloat
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 1:28 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
On 03/12/2018 05:20 PM, Nikolay Samokhvalov wrote:
On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 1:05 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
v8.4.12

This is *very* old version, not supported by the community for many years. Check https://www.postgresql.org/ to see currently supported versions.
You need to upgrade it.

Don't even think I'm in control of when -- or even if -- the customer decides to upgrade.

That being the case, do you have an answer to the question?

Those queries from wiki for table and index bloat estimation are for estimation only. In many cases they show very wrong results. Better (yet not ideal) approach is using pgstattuple extension (though I'm not sure it existed back in 2009).

Can you provide table and index definition and, if you can, some sample data?