Re: Query reg. postgresql 9.6 migration from ubuntu 16.04 to 18.04 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From a venkatesh
Subject Re: Query reg. postgresql 9.6 migration from ubuntu 16.04 to 18.04
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks your response.

Please check the following details.

1) Size of Postgres cluster.
A. The number of nodes per cluster are 3 - 1 pgmaster, 1 pgslave and 1 pgpool.
There are clusters of multiple sizes - 500 GB, < 500 GB and a few higher than that.

2) Method of migration:
        Dump/restore
        Replication
        Etc

A. I'm exploring the options and trying to know the pros, cons of each of these methods.

3) How are you installing Postgres:
        Ubuntu repos
        Postgres community repos

A. Using postgres community repos.

4) Location of one machine relative to other
A. The machines are hosted on cloud and from the same region.

5) Time frame to do migration.
A. I'm looking for a minimum downtime. The plan is to create a new compute instance of ubuntu 18.04, replicate / migrate from current ubuntu version to the target.

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 5:09 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 5/22/19 5:03 PM, a venkatesh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on migrating postgresql 9.6 database from ubuntu 16.04 to
> 18.04. Please let me know if there are any document references and best
> practices that can be followed.

Advice is going to depend on:

1) Size of Postgres cluster.

2) Method of migration: