Re: Optimizing Postgresql ILIKE while query - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Scottix
Subject Re: Optimizing Postgresql ILIKE while query
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Also leading wildcards can inhibit the use of indexes. Best to try to avoid LIKE queries similar to '%TERM'

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 12:23 AM Alban Hertroys <haramrae@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22 Oct 2018, at 7:56, aman gupta <amangpt89@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Issue:
>
> We have the base table which contains 22M records and we created a view on top of it while querying the view with ILIKE clause it took 44 seconds and with LIKE Clause 20 Seconds
>
> Query:
>
> fm_db_custom_db=# EXPLAIN (ANALYZE, TIMING OFF)
> select destination,hostname,inputfilename,inputtime,logicalservername,outputfilename,outputtime,processinglink,source,totalinputbytes,totalinputcdrs,totaloutputbytes,totaloutputcdrs from mmsuper.test_20m_view  where inputfilename ilike '%SDPOUTPUTCDR_4001_BLSDP09_ADM_4997_18-10-15-02549.ASN%';

Perhaps, when you have a question about timing, you shouldn't turn off the timing in the query plan? Now we can't see where the time is spent.

> <LIKE_Clause_ILIKE_Clause_Postgres_Response.txt>

That's all sequential scans that each remove a significant amount of rows. That probably costs a significant amount of time to do.

It looks like you don't have any indices on the underlying table(s) at all. I'd start there and then look at the ILIKE problem again. By that time, Pavel's suggestion for a trigram index on that text field is probably spot-on.

Alban Hertroys