Re: Backup of database - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From joka veera Venkataramana
Subject Re: Backup of database
Date
List pgsql-admin
Thank You All...It Worked

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 1:32 PM, AJ Weber <aweber@comcast.net> wrote:

On 11/26/2013 11:56 AM, Scott Ribe wrote:
On Nov 26, 2013, at 9:28 AM, joka veera Venkataramana<ramanajvv@gmail.com>  wrote:

I know all my questions are basic, why we are asking here is  previously we were in DB2 now we moved our database to Postgre (Its new for us). Please help us.
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/backup.html>

Personally, for daily backups, I like pg_dumpall | bzip2.
If you're using some kind of rsync or rsnapshot to help with backups, check-out "gzip --rsyncable".  It purports to keep the compressed archive in a better format for rsync-type (changed-block-only) transfers, at the expense of not using the most advanced algorithm.

I have a script that dumps my db to a local gz file, and alternates naming it with a .0 or .1 so I always have the last two backups (and then those backup/archive files are rsync'ed to another machine).

-AJ