Re: Providing libpq explicitly - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-yum

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Providing libpq explicitly
Date
List pgsql-pkg-yum
On 10 October 2016 at 14:44, Devrim Gündüz <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>
> Around Sep 2014, I committed a patch of yours that remove explicit
>
> Provides: libpq.so
>
> from the PostgreSQL RPMs, for 9.4 beta2. Do you remember the reason behind
> this?

Honestly, I don't have the foggiest anymore.

> For 3rd party apps that depend on specific version of libpq (I mean like "libpq
>>= 9.1", not libpq.so.5) are broken now. Would you mind if I put it back to the
> community RPMs?

I'd argue that such packages are simply incorrectly packaged. There's
no such thing as "libpq 9.1".

They should be using rpm's automatic library dependencies to ensure
that dependency, and shouldn't declare an explicit dependency.