Re: Code of Conduct plan - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Isaac Morland
Subject Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date
List pgsql-general
On 5 June 2018 at 17:34, Ozz Nixon <ozznixon@gmail.com> wrote:
Sorry...

> 1) CoC might result in developers leaving projects

        I know this on going regurgitation is going to cause my team to leave the project, right around 100 posts on this off topic topic.... it was bad enough when the original idea came up (2 years ago I think). It used to be exciting to sit back and review the day or weeks posts... not much anymore.

With all due respect, it is completely unreasonable to quit just because there has been some discussion of the rules for co-existing within the project. The intent of codes of conduct is usually supposed to be to make it clear that bullying and harassment are not permitted, something that is not always clear to everybody. That doesn't mean that any particular position on them is required, only that discussion of them is definitely *not* off topic. In any event, if you aren't interested in a thread, you can easily mute it. Personally, I have about 95% of pgsql-hackers muted, because I simply don't have time to be interested in every topic that is discussed, and I suspect many subscribers are similar. If somebody is so sensitive to even being aware of a discussion of the issue that they feel they have to leave, then I would expect them to leave at some point anyway due to becoming offended by some trivial matter that nobody else would even notice.