Re: Out of Memory errors are frustrating as heck! - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: Out of Memory errors are frustrating as heck!
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 11:59 PM Gunther <raj@gusw.net> wrote:

Is there any doubt that this might be a problem with Linux? Because if
you want, I can whip out a FreeBSD machine, compile pgsql, and attach
the same disk, and try it there. I am longing to have a reason to move
back to FreeBSD anyway. But I have tons of stuff to do, so if you do not
have reason to suspect Linux to do wrong here, I prefer skipping that
futile attempt

I think the PostgreSQL leaking in the first place would be independent of Linux being ungraceful about it.  So repeating it on BSD probably wouldn't help us here.  If you want to take up the 2nd issue with the kernel folks, having some evidence from BSD might (but not very likely) be helpful for that, but that would be for a different mailing list.

Cheers,

Jeff