Re: Need Help on wal_compression - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: Need Help on wal_compression
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 1:53 AM, Rambabu V <ram.wissen@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Team,

Daily 4000 Archive files are generating and these are occupying more space, we are trying to compress wall files with using wal_compression parameter, but we are not seeing any change in wal files count, could you please help us on this.

If the number of files is driven by archive_timeout, then no reduction in the number of them would be expected by turning on wal_compression.

If the number of files is driven by the 16MB limit on each file, then it is surprising that wal_compression did not change it. (But the difference might not be all that large, depending on the type of transactions and data you are working with.)

I use an external compression program, xz, which compresses very well.  But it is slow and has trouble keeping up at times of peak activity (e.g. bulk loads or updates, or reindexing).  It reduces the aggregate size, but not the number of files.

Cheers,

Jeff