Re: Deprecating, and scheduling removal of, pg_dump's tar format. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: Deprecating, and scheduling removal of, pg_dump's tar format.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 12:51 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 11:46 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Is there any real reason to retain it?
>
> As I recall, the principal argument for having it to begin with was
> that it's a "non proprietary" format that could be read without any
> PG-specific tools.  Perhaps the directory format could be said to
> serve that purpose too, but if you were to try to collapse a directory
> dump into one file for transportation, you'd have ... a tar dump.
>
> I think a more significant question is what we'd get by removing it?
> If you want to look around for features that are slightly less used
> than other arguably-equivalent things, we must have hundreds of those.
> Doesn't mean that those features have no user constituency.

Yeah.  I don't mind removing really marginal features to ease
maintenance, but I'm not sure that this one is all that marginal or
that we'd save that much maintenance by eliminating it.  I used
text-format dumps for years primarily because I figured that no matter
what happened, I'd always be able to find some way of getting my data
out of a text file.  Ideally the PostgreSQL tools will always work,
but if they don't work and you have a text file, you have
alternatives.  If they don't work and you have a format in some
PostgreSQL-specific format, then what?

But he isn't proposing getting rid of -Fp, just -Ft.  Isn't -Ft is just as PostgresSQL-specific
as -Fd is?

Cheers,

Jeff