Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So! - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 7:48 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 4:35 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

- Bug numbers are sometimes preserved in commit messages, but they
never make it into release notes.  This actually seems like something
we could improve pretty easily and without a lot of extra work (and
also without a bug tracker).  If every committer makes a practice of
putting the bug number into the commit message, and the people who
write the release notes then transcribe the information there, I bet
that would be pretty useful to a whole lotta people.

That would require people to actually use the bug form to submit the initial thread as well of course - which most developers don't do themselves today. But there is in itself nothing that prevents them from doing that, of course - other than a Small Amount Of Extra Work.

It is not always clear to me where I am supposed to report bugs.  I generally use -hackers if it is in code which is committed but not yet been released, or if I've tracked it down to source code or a backtrace or something like that, or if it is theoretical concern that I am not sure is actually a bug.

Of course if I error on the side of sending it to -hackers when it should be -bugs, someone could always forward it there, or tell me to do so.

It is also a bit awkward to send a patch on the bugs form, so if we want to people to use the bugs form even when they are also submitting a patch to fix the bug, we should explicitly state what it is we want them to.  Two separate submissions, one to -bugs, one to -hackers?  An email to -bugs (rather than using the form, which doesn't allow attachments) with an attachment?

Cheers,

Jeff