Re: Performant queries on table with many boolean columns - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: Performant queries on table with many boolean columns
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 11:41 AM, Rob Imig <rimig88@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> New to the lists so please let me know if this isn't the right place for
> this question.
>
> I am trying to understand how to structure a table to allow for optimal
> performance on retrieval. The data will not change frequently so you can
> basically think of it as static and only concerned about optimizing reads
> from basic SELECT...WHERE queries.
>
> The data:
>
> ~20 million records
> Each record has 1 id and ~100 boolean properties
> Each boolean property has ~85% of the records as true
>

> The retrieval will always be something like "SELECT id FROM <table> WHERE
> <conditions>.
>
> <conditions> will be some arbitrary set of the ~100 boolean columns and you
> want the ids that match all of the conditions (true for each boolean
> column). Example:
> WHERE prop1 AND prop18 AND prop24

Is 3 a typical number of conditions to have?

85%^3 is 61.4%, so you are fetching most of the table.  At that point,
I think I would give up on indexes and just expect to do a full table
scan each time.   Which means a single column
bit-string data type might be the way to go, although the construction
of the queries would then be more cumbersome, especially if you will
do by hand.

I think the only way to know for sure is to write a few scripts to benchmark it.

Cheers,

Jeff