Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So! - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 2:14 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
Jeff Janes wrote:

> I'd rather, say, put some more work into cleaning the kruft out of the
> To-Do list, then put that effort into migrating the kruft to a fancier
> filing cabinet.

Casual users would need a community account in order to file bugs in the
Todo wiki page.

Sorry, I changed lanes without signalling there, from an outward facing bug tracker to an inward facing issue tracker.

But bug trackers usually do incorporate a to-do list as well.  I think they are better separate anyway.  Someone who does have an community account could (and sometimes does now) respond saying "that isn't really a bug, but a feature request, and I added it to the To Do list".

I don't think a wiki page qualifies (by a long mile) as
a bug tracker, anyway.

Right, they are quite different.  But I don't think the differences make a difference, as far as making it stop being a place where ideas go to die without ever realizing they are dead.  It would be nice to know the date on which any given item was added to the TODO page (and general a wiki version of "git blame" would be nice), but beyond that I don't see it making a difference.  Since we want to have the wiki anyway (I assume) then using it for open-items and todo list is basically free, while an issue tracker is another piece of software to learn (for its users) and maintain (for the infrastructure team).

Cheers,

Jeff