Re: Weird error when setting up streaming replication - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: Weird error when setting up streaming replication
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 8:33 AM, Quentin Hartman
<qhartman@direwolfdigital.com> wrote:
> This pair of servers aren't replacing anything, they are new, empty servers.

That should be 'empty server', singular.

> Before starting the slave at all, I'm copying the entire data filestructure
> over to it via rsync. I'm doing almost exactly what is described here:
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Binary_Replication_Tutorial#Binary_Replication_in_6_Steps
> . The only different is that I've tweaked the paths on the rsync to be
> appropriate to my system layout. I've even gone so far as to delete
> everything in the data dir except for the pg_xlog directory before syncing
> everything over  to make sure it wasn't caused by something not getting
> overwritten when it was supposed to.

So then, you *are* replacing the slave server.  If you were not, there
would be nothing in its data dir to delete, and nothing there to get
overwritten (or not get overwritten).  Also, not deleting the pg_xlog
directory (or at least the contents of that directory) is exactly the
problem.

Cheers,

Jeff