Re: BUG #15966: Docs: - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: BUG #15966: Docs:
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 9:23 AM PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:

Bug reference:      15966
Logged by:          Thomas Güttler
Email address:      guettliml@thomas-guettler.de
PostgreSQL version: 11.5
Operating system:   Linux

On this page I read this:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/functions-matching.html

> If you have pattern matching needs that go beyond this, consider writing a
user-defined function in Perl or Tcl.

I think Perl and Tcl are no more the most common languages to write
user-defined functions.

What would be the most common?  pl/python only comes in untrusted form, so can only be used by the superuser.  I think that rules it out as a general recommendation.  And SQL and PL/pgSQL don't solve the problem.  Are there any outside-of-standard-distribution languages which could qualify as common?

Maybe just remove "in Perl or Tcl" and provide a link to the general docs of
user-defined functions.

I'd rather see the specific recommendations than just be tossed at https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/xfunc.htm and left to click around until I eventually land somewhere useful to the task at hand.  Maybe it could direct to https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/xplang.html

Cheers,

Jeff