Re: Cancelling of autovacuums considered harmful - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: Cancelling of autovacuums considered harmful
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 1:34 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 9:56 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Scott Marlowe escribió:
>> As some of you folks know I work on some pretty beefy machines. Some
>> of these machines don't see rest for months or days on end. And
>> autovacuum keeps cancelling. I set it more aggressive, it still never
>> finishes.
>
> No matter how heavily updated, regular activity should not cause
> autovacuum kills.  Only heavier operations would do that (say ALTER
> TABLE, etc).

Is there any logging of what killed the autovac available? I've looked
and not seen anything (currently on 8.4 moving to 9.2 soon.)

Better logging for that was introduced in 8.4.13 and 9.2.0.

Cheers,

Jeff