Re: pg_attribute, pg_class, pg_depend grow huge in count and sizewith multiple tenants. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: pg_attribute, pg_class, pg_depend grow huge in count and sizewith multiple tenants.
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 4:05 PM samhitha g <samhithagarudadri@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi experts,

Our application serves multiple tenants. Each tenant has the schema with a few hundreds of tables and few functions.
We have 2000 clients so we have to create 2000 schemas in a single database.

While doing this, i observed that the catalog tables pg_attribute, pg_class, pg_depend grow huge in count and size.

Please attach numbers to "huge".  We don't know what "huge" means to you.

"2000  * a few hundred" tables is certainly getting to the point where it makes sense to be concerned.  But my concern would be more about backup and recovery, version upgrades, pg_dump, etc. not about daily operations.

Cheers,

Jeff