Re: [PERFORM] PSA: upgrade your extensions - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: [PERFORM] PSA: upgrade your extensions
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 4:38 AM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
I was just troubleshooting a strange performance issue with pg_trgm
(greatest extension over) that ran great in testing but poor in
production following a 9.6 in place upgrade from 9.2. By poor I mean
7x slower.  Problem was resolved by ALTER EXTENSION UPDATE followed by
a REINDEX on the impacted table.  Hope this helps somebody at some
point :-).

It was probably the implementation of the triconsistent function for pg_trgm (or I would like to think so, anyway).

But if so, the REINDEX should not have been necessary, just the ALTER EXTENSION UPDATE should do the trick. Rebuiding a large gin index can be pretty slow.

Cheers,

Jeff