Re: Connecting with PostgreSQL 9.1 using the Ubuntu machine user and peer authentication method - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jorge Arevalo
Subject Re: Connecting with PostgreSQL 9.1 using the Ubuntu machine user and peer authentication method
Date
List pgsql-general

On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 3:43 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 08/07/2014 01:39 AM, Jorge Arevalo wrote:

    What OS are you on?

    Per:
    http://www.postgresql.org/__docs/9.1/interactive/auth-__methods.html#AUTH-PEER

    <http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/interactive/auth-methods.html#AUTH-PEER>

    "Peer authentication is only available on operating systems
    providing the getpeereid() function, the SO_PEERCRED socket
    parameter, or similar mechanisms. Currently that includes Linux,
    most flavors of BSD including Mac OS X, and Solaris."

Linux system  (Ubuntu 12.04). Also tested in Mac OS 10.8.

Forgot to mention: in pg_hba.conf there is a previous line:

local postgres peer

That would be the issue, assuming you are doing something along lines of psql -d some_db -U postgres per:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/interactive/auth-pg-hba-conf.html

" The first record with a matching connection type, client address, requested database, and user name is used to perform authentication. There is no "fall-through" or "backup": if one record is chosen and the authentication fails, subsequent records are not considered."

If you are not connecting as above, you will need to show us your connection string.

Actually, it's connecting now. I've applied the map to the first entry in pg_hba.conf

local all postgres peer map=vp.

So, I'm identifying vagrant with postgres, as desired, and it works.

Many thanks for your responses!

Best regards,

--
Jorge Arevalo