access to lexems or access to parsed elements - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Massa, Harald Armin
Subject access to lexems or access to parsed elements
Date
Re: access to lexems or access to parsed elements
Re: access to lexems or access to parsed elements
Re: access to lexems or access to parsed elements
List pgsql-general
I want to access the single words in a text. Better yet: the relevant words (i.e. without stop words) in a text.

to_tsvector or casting gets me the lexems as a tsvector:

select to_tsvector('the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy fox')
''brown':3 'fox':4,9 'jump':5 'lazi':8 'quick':2'

And I would like to access "brown", "fox", "jump", "lazi" and "quick" as single values that I insert into another table.

But: no luck with any tries to convert to records, arrays or similiar.

Next step, the lesser-known-fts-functions:

select ts_parse('default','the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy fox')

(1,the)
(12," ")
(1,quick)
[...]
(1,fox)

is a set-returning-function, giving me 17 records of type pseudo-record. Stopwords still in there, so what. But: No chance of accessing the second field in that record.

Of course, there is allways:

select  substr(what::text,position(',' in what::text)+1,char_length(what::text)-position(',' in what::text)-1) from
(
select ts_parse('default','the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy fox') as what
)x

but, comeon: having a two-field-record, casting it to one field of text, searching for the "," that separates the two fields and then split the one-field into two fields by substring?

So, is there a better way to access

a) the lexems of a tsvector
b) the (unnamed) fields of a set-of-record-returning function

?
Harald

--
Harald Armin Massa     www.2ndQuadrant.de
PostgreSQL  Training, Services  and Support

2ndQuadrant Deutschland GmbH
GF: Harald Armin Massa
Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 736399