[pgsql-advocacy] Postgres replaces SQLite as well as it replaces Oracle? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua Kramer
Subject [pgsql-advocacy] Postgres replaces SQLite as well as it replaces Oracle?
Date
Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Postgres replaces SQLite as well as it replacesOracle?
List pgsql-advocacy
Hello,

Has anyone done articles or advocacy for Postgres in embedded applications?

I am fooling around with Home Assistant on a Raspberry Pi.  This is a
Python 3 app that is normally backed by SQLite.  But it has issues
because often times more than one process wants to write to the
database, and SQLite doesn't do that well.  I found a handy guide on
replacing SQLite with PG in this application:

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/howto-postgresql-on-raspberry-pi-all-in-one-installer/5527/21

Two things I noticed right off the bat.  The UI of HomeAssistant is
MUCH faster using PG than it is using SQLite.  We're talking 5 seconds
for a page refresh vs half a second.  Second, Postgres is tiny!  The
whole stack- OS, Postgres, HASS server- takes up a whopping 67 MB of
RAM.

It'll be interesting to see how these stats change as I leave the
thing running for months on end.

Cheers!
-JK