Re: Millions of tables - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Rick Otten
Subject Re: Millions of tables
Date
Re: Millions of tables
List pgsql-performance
Are the tables constantly being written to, or is this a mostly read scenario?   One architecture possibility, if the writes are not so frequent,  is to create just a handful of very big tables for writing, and then make smaller tables as materialized views for reading.  The vacuum and bloat management could be done back a the big tables. The materialized views could be refreshed or replaced during non-peak hours.  The materialized views could be on a different tablespace than the root tables.  They could also be structured to reflect real-world query patterns which are sometimes different than the raw data storage engineering problem.

With some logging you may be able to see that the data is not truly randomly accessed, but rather clustered around just some of the millions of tables.   Then the engineering problem becomes "How do I service 90% of the queries on these tables in 30ms ?" Rather than "How do I service 100% of the queries 100% of the time in 30ms?"  Knowing 90% of the queries hit just a few hundred tables, makes the first question easier to answer.

Similarly, if most of the columns are static and only a few columns are actually changing, you could consider pulling the static stuff out of the same table with the dynamic stuff and then look at joins in your queries.  The end goal is to be able to get solid indexes and tables that don't change a lot so they can be tightly packed and cached.  (less bloat, less fragmentation, fewer disk accesses).

With regards to consistent query performance, I think you need to get out of AWS.  That environment is terrible if you are going for consistency unless you buy dedicated hardware, and then you are paying so much money it is ridiculous.

Also I think having 10M rows in a table is not a problem for the query times you are referring to.  So instead of millions of tables, unless I'm doing my math wrong, you probably only need thousands of tables.