Re: Synchronous replication + Fusion-io = waste of money OR significant performance boost? (compared to normal SATA-based SSD-disks)? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ondrej Ivanič
Subject Re: Synchronous replication + Fusion-io = waste of money OR significant performance boost? (compared to normal SATA-based SSD-disks)?
Date
In response to Re: Synchronous replication + Fusion-io = waste of money OR significant performance boost? (compared to normal SATA-based SSD-disks)?  (dennis jenkins <dennis.jenkins.75@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hi,

On 9 March 2012 02:23, dennis jenkins <dennis.jenkins.75@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've also looked at the Fusion-IO products.  They are not standard
> flash drives.  They don't appear as SATA devices.  They contains an
> FPGA that maps the flash directly to the PCI bus.  The kernel-mode
> drivers blits data to/from them via DMA, not a SATA or SAS drive (that
> would limit transfer rates to 6Gb/s).
>
> But, I don't have any in-hand to test with yet... :(  But the
> kool-aide looks tasty :)

I think they are good investment but we wasn't able to use them because:
- iodrive was small (1.2TB only) and not very scalable in long term --
not enough PCIE slots
- iodrive duo/octal needs more power and cooling than we had
You can workaround both by upgrading server (two of them, HA) but you
just delay the situation when you can't insert new card (no slots or
power available).

Performance wise, we were able to reduce query time
- from few seconds to instant (500ms and better)
- any query exceeding  300sec (apache timeout) finished under minute

--
Ondrej Ivanic
(ondrej.ivanic@gmail.com)