Re: 9.5 release scheduling (was Re: logical column ordering) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: 9.5 release scheduling (was Re: logical column ordering)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 1:49 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Review is good, but (as history shows) some bugs can slip through even
> extensive review such as the one multixacts got from Noah and Andres.
> Had anyone put some real stress on the beta, we could have noticed some
> of these bugs much earlier.  One of the problems we have is that our
> serious users don't seem to take the beta period seriously.  All our
> users are too busy for that, it seems, and they expect that "somebody
> else will test the point-zero release", and that by the time it hits
> point-one or point-two it will be bug-free, which is quite clearly not
> the case.

Good, strategic stress testing has a big role to play here IMV. I have
had some difficulty generating interest in that, but I think it's
essential.

--
Peter Geoghegan