Re: 9.5 release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: 9.5 release notes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 3:39 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 9:15 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>> I am ready to make suggested adjustments

Also, I attach a new description of the UPSERT feature. For me, UPSERT
was always about guarantees that make statements work robustly under
standard operating conditions -- a novice user should be able to write
a simple UPSERT statement and forget about it. It's really hard to
explain how that can be guaranteed, but the basic guarantee itself is
simple, and matters a lot.

I think that the proposed wording conveys that. I also think that it's
important that this message is prominently conveyed, because these
issues cause no end of confusion.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Attachment