Re: pgsql: Include planning time in EXPLAIN ANALYZE output. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: pgsql: Include planning time in EXPLAIN ANALYZE output.
Date
List pgsql-committers
On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 1:10 PM, Robert Haas <rhaas@postgresql.org> wrote:
> Include planning time in EXPLAIN ANALYZE output.

Isn't it perhaps a little confusing that "Planning time" may well
exceed "Total runtime"? I'm aware that we aren't super clear on the
accounting here generally, as with pg_stat_statements, which doesn't
include planning time in total_time, while we aren't even explicit
about that in the documentation. But even still, seeing the two
side-by-side, with planning time > total runtime did give me pause.

--
Peter Geoghegan