Re: Documentation epub format - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: Documentation epub format
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 5:27 PM, Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr> wrote:
> I must admit that there is a bit of a disappointement as far as the user
> experience is concerned: the generated file is barely usable on an iPad2
> with the default iBooks reader, which was clearly not designed for handling
> a "4592" pages book (from its point of view).

Surely that just means you need a better reader?

Fwiw I routinely use PDFs of Oracle docs that are about that size.
They're *way* more useful than the html docs that are broken up into a
lot of smaller files. Being able to search and jump around in them is
extremely handy. This would have been unwieldy in older generations of
PDF readers but newer ones don't actually load the whole file into
memory and can read and uncompress just the sections they need.
Sometimes (though I can never predict when) even over the web.

I also find it hard to believe the Postgres docs are really that big.
Surely a big chunk of it is just some reference material like tables
of data or something? The other section of the docs that can
reasonably be broken out imho is the man pages. But the rest really
belong in a single document.

--
greg